Collection: Part Two

Reflection

13th June

Today I got my first task for foundation plus which is self portrait. It’s my first time to do a two day project, I felt very confused and lost which it is not like what I expected. Since I didn’t have enough time for planning (such as drawing a thumbnail) before taking the photo shoots, so that the first few images that I have took wasn’t really ideal as I think the pictures that I have took can not express my identity. After I went back to hall, I started to look at my personal belongings and try to find out something that could represent myself. When I open my wardrobe and saw all the black clothes somehow I see myself within the wardrobe.

14th June

In this project I want to go deeper into my inner self, one of the elements of my inner self is lost, this is the element that I would like to explore more as I think lost is the main elements that made me who I am today. I am still experiencing lost and I really wanted to know more about myself and re-recongnize myself once again to the elements ‘lost’ and to see how this element become part of myself.

I experienced using the stairs to take my self portraits because stairs give me the impression of having endless steps and endless road, you never know when to stop and where is the end. From the angle that from the top to bottom, I think there are too much compositions in one photo that I can’t fully convey the message. Instead of using the angle from top to bottom I changed to use the angle from bottom to top which I think that could provide the feeling of hollowness and emptiness more.

14th June

15th June

Through my self portrait , I want to know who am I. All this time I'm lost, not only where I want to go, which direction I'm heading but also deep down who am I. I do think after all this time I have been neglected myself and haven’t really stop and really look at myself. I would like to use this chance to re discover myself, my true self.

I used dim light to convey the saddened of the loneliness and I used angle to show the hollowness of it, to give it more depth. I made the image through take photo beside the stair case as the stair case colour really fit the theme and the angle of it really show and help me convey the message. The composition of the stair case , the colour of coolness (grey) and the distance between really makes it more intimidating for me to express my thought towards ‘lost’.

I received some feedbacks during the crit in this morning. One of my tutors said that although the proportion of me in this image is a bit small but the scale and composition of the stair case makes me looks like I’m a person that people are looking up to. In fact, their comments are opposite to my concept and the message that I would like to convey, I think I could adjust the view point (angle of the staircase) also could record more layers of stair case within the triangle to express the feeling of ‘lost’.

16th June

20th June

Yesterday I have made an action plan for this week and I was planing to finish my research before lunch and start sketching some initial ideas in the afternoon. The planning for the afternoon section haven’t achieved as I didn’t finish my research, somehow I feel that I’m getting stuck with doing research as I think my research direction is very vague.

In this afternoon I have a personal tutorial with Karen, I have show her the drawings I have did for research during the tutorial, she think that I should put more focus in my subject specialism as I am doing menswear but from my drawings it can’t see anything that is related. She also advised me to not be limited by the materials/fabrics I can already buy, instead I could adapt my research images into fabric print. I think her feedbacks are really useful and really can help me to move on with the research of this project.

21st June

Today is our first time to have study support session. I found that it’s quite useful as through this session it could help me to improve the research and reflection skills for my projects. One of the things that I have learned is during the research process for each projects, I should keep asking myself why I would like to do this, as it could help me to re think and generate better ideas and concepts.

I still feel a bit confuse and lost on my research therefore I had a personal tutorial with Georgia in this afternoon. The feedbacks given by Georgia was useful. She suggested me to work faster and not to decorate my sketch book pages as sketchbook is more about layout my initial ideas, it’s not about how pretty it looks. The most important is that it shows how I think and the design development process must be clear and explainable. Georgia had also suggested me to look at some gothic patterns and wall paper designs for my research and do more designs on the body with collage, test sketches and stencils. I should work faster and be more concentrate as there are not much time left for this project.

23rd June

In this morning we have a stitch workshop. I’m so excited that finally I can learn how to use the knitting machine. At the beginning of the workshop, there is an induction about how to use the sewing machine. Although I'm familiar with using sewing machine but however I think it’s good to hear the induction again because the machine is slightly different with the one I used to work with.  I used the sewing machine to make a little sample for my project. As I can’t do embroidery so I use straight stitching line to make a pattern that relevant to my theme.

Later on we have an induction of how to use the knitting machine. There are quite a lot of steps and I found it is quite complicated to use, the experimental pieces I have made with using the knitting machine is not very successful as there are lots of holes and the yarns are loose also the colour of the yarns doesn’t match with my theme therefore I am not going to use these pieces of my project.

26th June

26th June

In this morning we have a crit for the “This place” project. It was my first time to do a one week project which make me feel quite confused and rush, also my bad time management causes there are not enough design development for the project and I could’n design and produce an ideal final outcome. After looking at the comments that given by some of my classmates, I realised that my development process is not quite clear to understand and there are lack of annotations to explain my thoughts. Also the design sketches looks very rush and unfinished. I've been advised to use more colours for my designs and could produce more test samples to give the idea of how my final design is going to be look like. These comments and advised are really useful to me as it helps me to realise and understand which part during a project is my weakness and tell me to improve it.

After the crit we started the new project called “Time warp”. On last Friday our tutor asked us to collect two objects from the 20th century and 21st century. During the weekend I went to brick lane and found some vintage vinyl records. The covers are very eye-catching and somehow makes me feel like I have went back to the last century. The object I’ve bring to represent the 21st century is a contemporary CD as nowadays people normally listen to music with using their mobile phones, laptops or either using CDs. At first I used some linen rope to wrap and try to combine the vinyl record and the CD together, as they are all in a round shape it was not quite easy to work with. I want to stand the smaller CD vertically on the vinyl record and leave it horizontally by using the linen rope but it always fall off therefore I decided to use UHU to glue the bottom to make it more steady. I made another piece with using wires and threads to hang the CDs and vinyl record. I like the different shapes of shadows while the CD and vinyl record are randomly moving.

For the new project I have to set my self a timetable and follow it strictly. I am going to improve the quality of my design sketches and design development process as these two are the major things I have missed on the “This place” project.

Timetable/Action Plan

Monday

Tuesday

Wednesday

Thursday

Friday

Saturday

10:00-13:00

Crit/Start new project: combine two different chosen objects

Draping workshop

Continue research for project

(artists/designers/historical…)

Start design developments

Design ideas development

pattern cutting

14:00-16:30

Observational drawings of the combined objects

Surface/textures workshop

Contextual Practice

-Tutorial

-develop silhouette

-Create samples (larger scale+different silhouettes)

Produce final outcome

17:00-

Sketch 20 ideas inspired by the combined objects

Library

-Finish research

-Create testing samples

-create samples

Final design

Produce final outcome

27th June

28th June

29th June

Today I have a personal tutorial with Frances. I am very pleased that she said my development process is quite good and clear. While I was showing her the samples I have produced, she suggested me to explore and develop more different silhouettes further with looking at my initial designs and paper cut out patterns also she recommended me to produce the samples and testing pieces in larger scale therefore I can manipulate them with using overlapping and layering to place on the mannequin to see the actual visual effect and I can clearly see what I could develop.

I created an oversized sleeve with round edges which is inspired by the shapes of the CD and Robert Delaunay’s paintings. It was failed on the first time because the arm circumference is too small. I added some more fabric in the armpit area, the result turns out well and it is perfectly fit for the wearer. I will add more decoration details(e.g. elbow patch with puzzle shape) for the sleeve to avoid it looks very plain.

29th June

30th June

3rd July

In this morning I have a progress tutorial with my tutor. I’ve gained some really useful feedbacks about the works I have produced in these three weeks. Through this tutorial, the major thing I have realised is that my design ideas are too conventional, as a fashion designer, I don't need to follow what people did, what’s more important for me is to create and develop more new shapes, which makes my designs more unique and special. I should use the new shapes I have developed in as many ways as I can. After looking through my sketchbook with several times, I realised that I didn't have enough material samples for communicating my ideas, from now on I should spent time on discover and find out more different materials for my designs. For my research, I should look and discover more new references rather than only focus in fashion designers. Also, I need to reduce the size of the content reference images in my sketch book and need to avoid repeating the same research content which is already in workflow.

For workflow, what I need to improve is try to add annotation for each images I have put in the research page. For reflection I shoud keep asking myself why when making a statement as my tutor said that my reflection is more like a diary which in most of my reflections I just wrote about what I have did but without reflection and evaluation.

6th July

6th July

7th July

In the digital workshop this morning I have learnt how to use photoshop to create patterns, although I have some experience with using photoshop before but the skills I have learn today is new and interesting to me. I think it was quite useful as I can edit my own pattern from my drawings and I can use this skills for doing some digital pattern printing for my designs.

The most interesting and exciting part of today to me is the embroidery workshop as one of my hobby is doing stitching and embroidery during my leisure time. I learned how to do chain stitch during the workshop, to me it is not hard to do, although it took times and patients but I actually really enjoy it. Later on I have try to use sewing to do embroidery, it was quite challenging because I have to control the movement of the needle on the sewing machine, at first the stitching lines are not ideal because it didn’t follow my pencil draft, but after several times I finally know how to control the machine and I can work quicker to produce my embroidery patterns. I am quite pleased of what I have did during the workshop and I am going to complete the rest of the patterns during the weekend.

7th July

7th July

10th July

10th July

11th July

According to the 10 ideas that we have create and some advised from the tutorial, my partner and I chose to focus on doing installation art with combining my practical skills from fashion.

We chose to develop one of my initial ideas which is using some broken pieces of wine bottles to create installation. This idea was inspired by the year that the wine has been produced. In the afternoon I have sketch some development ideas but I think it cannot fulfil what we need and it is really hard to combine the practical skills form two different disciplines. Therefore I decided to look back to our museum objects and do some deeper analysis to inspired us more creative ideas.

Action plan:

Wednesday: finish Pecha Kucha and need to be ready for practise presentation during contextual practice

Thursday: use workshop to create modelling samples for final outcome/ develop final ideas/ collect materials for final outcome

Friday: Start producing final outcome

13th July

My partner and I started to produce some maquette for our final outcome after the tutorial with Mark. At first our idea is doing installation art which we will hang some broken wine bottle pieces or colour glass on the ceiling for exhibition, but we are not able to do it therefore we decided to make the installation inside a transparent box. Mark suggest us one more way which is inspired by Alexander Calder’s hanging mobile sculptures. I think it would be nice because we want to see how audience interpret with the artwork.

I used some coloured acetate, colour threads and wire to create a smaller scale hanging mobile sculpture to see the effect, it was actually quite ideal because of the movement of the wire and hanging acetate pieces. I used torches to experiment with lighting from different angles as I am thinking of hanging the outcome next to a place with sunlight and when the sunlight are get through the broken glass pieces it could create some interesting coloured shadow on the floor or wall also give more interaction between the object and audience.

My partner break some wine bottles into pieces in this afternoon, due to the safety issue we decided to use plastic for the modelling sample. We went to the 3D workshop to cut out some transparent and coloured plastic for the model of doing installation of broken pieces inside a box. Compared the two outcomes, my partner and I both agree with using the idea of handing mobile, as it could provide more different feeling and interactions  for the audience.

I am going to produce some stitching samples tonight which is for covering part of the broken pieces.

13th July

14th July

My partner is not here today, as we haven’t got much time left for this project so I decide some part of the concept for our final outcome. I have discuss the idea about the concept with my partner through the internet and he agree with it, therefore I started to produced some testing sample for the final outcome. As we can’t work together during the weekend, we only got one day left which is next Monday to produce our final outcome, it would be quite challenge as one of my concern for this project is the quality of our final outcome, as the outcome is going to be exhibit in the CSM gallery, the quality can not be very rough and looks unfinished.

The other major challenge for the co-create project is my partner and I are in different specialism, I am doing fashion design but he is doing fine art, our opinions and perspectives might be very different, it is quite hard for us to come up with one idea. For example, in the library session we have been given a text and picture, he was focused on the relationships between the tribe man’s body and artifact but I was focused on the details on what the tribe man as wearing. However I’m glad that we don’t have any argument and conflict while discuss our own ideas.

Actually I am quite exciting to work with people from different discipline because we can share different view points and own opinions also the outcomes might be more unexpected and unusual than what we normally do. My partner is good at Chinese painting and ceramics making skills, also he can use his talent to improve the aesthetic of our final outcome because Chinese art are more like to emphasize the artistic conception. As a fashion designer, to me I think the concept or the meaning behind is the most important thing for design, therefore in this collaboration project what I will focus and think more is the concept for our outcome. Through working with my partner this week, I can see there are something in common within our disciplines.

17th July

18th July

The objects we were allocated from the CSM gallery is a scrap book with collection of wine labels.  Through this project our concept is to questioning the value of money and human hearts as the collection of wine labels reminds me a key word “valuable”, people drink wines no matter they are high or low value, but for money, some people nowadays just ignore or avoid using coins as they think coins are less valuable and even don’t see them as money. Our final outcome is been divided in two sides, one is broken wine bottles pieces wrapped by knitted pockets and the other side is coins wrapped by transparent plastic bags. They both been hang with a longer steel wire and could balance to each others.

The most successful aspects of our collaboration is we listen to each others ideas and gather our opinions to construct a more deeper and conceptual outcomes as for both of our disciplines, the concepts behind the work is the most important part. We did respect to each others and work well without any conflict.

The used of materials could be improve as we just stick with using coins and wine bottles which I think is too limited. Also the actual size of the outcome could be larger to improve and enhance the visual impact.

Cooperation is really important, it allows us to exchange valuable information and ideas that helps both side to improve our knowledge, helps to improve the efficiently of working to achieve a common goal. We all bring our own practical skills into the collaboration. My partner help with breaking the wine bottles and work with the steel wires, I focused on the knitting part, but however I think we didn’t fully express our strongest skills from each of our own discipline through this collaboration.

The biggest common in our two disciplines would be the sense of aesthetic and concept. For both fine art and fashion design, the concepts behind our works are important and we have to combine our sense of aesthetic to convey it to the target audience/customers.

What I’ve learned from my partner would be the way that he thinking of ideas. For example, once we get our museum objects, my partner can immediately thinking of who could be the owner of the object, how was it been made and he could construct initial ideas quickly which this is what I have to improve as sometimes I would easily get stuck with thinking design ideas.

I really admire the outcome from Earn’s group, I think they have a really good time management as in this such limited time but they could produce a really big scale artwork. I was shock when I first saw their outcomes, I love the textiles and the use of lighting on their outcome. I think the reasons that makes them successful is because they have good organise and planning skills while collaborate with there partners.

18th July

18th July

Co-Create Project

13th June

14th June

16th June

Frances Richardson made me think differently about drawing as we always think that there are only lines and shapes, but Frances used mark-making (little symbol of (-) and (+)) to create a bigger picture. And because of this approach, she can convey two different story and visual connection with people. As when you look at the same artwork with different perspective, you have different feelings and emotions, and opinions out of it. It’s an impressive way to connect it with the public.

One of the task is that I have to close my eyes and use one of my hands to touch my partner’s face and use the other hand to draw it. The blind drawing somehow forced me to focus and concentrate on the sensation and the touch of it. It’s really given a different perspective on giving out the information of the face. It’s really given me a different approach and idea of what drawing is all about. Although the outcome is different from what I usually do, but the outcome definitely amazed me and it comes out interesting. And I really like the distorted style of drawing and oddness of it.

19th June

Timetable (“This place” project)

Monday

Tuesday

Wednesday

Thursday

Friday

Saturday

Sunday

10:00-13:00

-Project briefing

-think of research direction 

-Tutorial

-Continue research(artists/designers/historical)

-Start idea development

-Workshop induction

-Workshop inductions

14:00-16:30

Research-observational drawings

-Start Sketching initial ideas

-Idea development

-Finish idea development

-Start making toile/sample

17:00-

/

Library

Go to fabric market

-Sketch final ideas(a collection?)

Go to fabric market

Today we started a new project called “This place”. On last Friday I did a lot of drawings with using different materials in different approaches and those drawings have given me some research ideas and direction about the new project and it is a good chance for me to know more about the places around Kings Cross.

During the project briefing in this morning, I have gathered more information about Kings Cross and St. Pancras. The images of St. Pancras Renaissance Hotel attracted me with the hand painted  walls patterns. I decided to go to the hotel for doing some observational drawings. Although my pathway is fashion menswear but I am trying to figure out how to use the patterns as part of the important elements for my designs. In this project I would also like to look at some historical buildings/architectures around Kings Cross/St. Pancras(in details, e.g the building structure) as I would like to transfer these elements into the silhouettes for my designs.

22nd June

This afternoon we have our first 3D workshop for FAD plus. Although it doesn’t very related to my pathway but I quite enjoy the process.

After the inductions about different machines by technicians, we started to do our own experiments. At first I was a bit scare of using the professional machines as I think they are very dangerous and I think I will miss some steps, but while I finally experience with using the machines I found that it was quite easy to work with. One of the experiments I have did during the workshop is vacuum forming, personally I am quite familiar with this experiments as I have did similar thing for one of my projects during foundation course. This time is slightly different as we can make our own mould. I made a capital letter “L” block with using the wood cutting machine. We all have been given a plastic plate for the vacuum forming experiment. The machine melt the plastic plate very quickly and form the “L” shape within 20 seconds. This experiments is a little bit unsuccessful as there is a tiny crinkle part next to the inner angle of the “L” shape and there are some pencil drawing marks left on the experimental outcome which is slightly distract.

I am looking forward to the stitch workshop tomorrow as I really want to learn how to use the knitting machine and I am going to make some samples that related to my project.

26th June

26th June

27th June

In this morning we have created different shapes and silhouettes that came from the drawings of our combined objects yesterday, I found that it was quite challenging because we can only use scissors and paper to create the shapes as we’ve been told to not use pencils to draft. As my chosen objects are vinyl record and CD therefore I have cut out a circular shape. Later the tutor ask us to manipulate the flat paper pattern into 3D which I think it was difficult because my cut out shapes are too simple and not easy to work with. The tutor advised me to cut out the silhouette of my combined object, I found that it was a lot easier and I’m quite pleased with the 3D shapes I had created.

Last night I have drawn some idea design sketches and develop their patterns and silhouettes. While this morning during the time that we were producing our own 3D pieces, the tutor came and look at my sketch book. She asked me am I considered using print for my designs as they looks very flat although there are lots of patterns. She encouraged me to think bravely and consider more about the silhouette/textures to create and develop more sculptural designs. I think it is pleasure to hear such critical opinions as it really helpful and push my works further to a higher level.

I think that the experiments of cutting out and combine different shapes and silhouettes together to form 3D shapes are overall successful as it helps to picture and has been inspired me some initial ideas for development.

27th June

28th June

Today I have created some samples which is inspired by my combined objects and base on some jigsaw puzzle silhouette cut out shapes. At first I was quite lost and can’t think of any ideas for my samples as the research I have did for this project so far was not enough and I haven’t build up my concept and story. I choose to focus on the puzzle shapes as there is an idea pop up in my head which is using pieces of puzzle shapes to construct a whole garment. I have also found that the popped collar is one of the fashion trend in 1980s therefore I created a small testing collar sample with using the puzzle shapes to construct the collar. This is my favourite sample and I am going to develop more different puzzle shapes rather than only focus on one.

29th June

30th June

Today I continued to develop my ideas for the final outcome. Base on the sleeve I have made yesterday, I would like to add some colour on top which is inspired by the reflection light on the CDs. I was planing to use screen printing but there are no workshop today therefore I used acrylic to directly paint on the sleeve. The effect is not very ideal because the yellow and green acrylic mixed together while I was painting, also the edges are very rough and it’s not what I expected. I am really regret that I didn’t take the chance to use the screen printing yesterday. I should always be prepared and well planing.

This afternoon I used the knitting machine to create some thick strings for my final outcome as I was planing to use some colour string to represent the reflective light on the CD also the neon light in the street of 80s Hong Kong or in the other way I could use these strings to connect the puzzle pieces together to construct the main garment. As the weft of the knitted string is quite short so that it doesn’t took me quite long time to finish but as I pull the handle in a quite fast speed therefore the yarns always get caught inside the machine and some of the yarns are loose. I should be more patient and control the machine in a slower speed.

30th June

30th June

5th July

In the contextual practice session today, I need to do a short presentation about the chosen artwork and designer from my discipline. I wrote down the whole script for practise, I did timed myself and found that I can finish within 20 seconds while looking at the script but once I didn't look at the script I can not finish in 20 seconds therefore I rewrite some of the content for the script to make them shorter and wrote down some key words. While listen to my classmates’ presentation, I realised that what I have planning to say was not explainable and refine enough. Also because I was too nervous so that I looked at my script during the presentation but I can finish within 20 seconds. What I should write down for preparation is the main point and key words that could communicate my opinion clearly to the audience, also I need to practise more and shouldn’t rely on the script, as speaking confidently and fluently is the key for presentation as well as stating the main points clearly.

6th July

From the drawing workshop in this morning, I did some quick observational drawings about different scenes. I was not pleased because I can not capture the whole scene for each drawings, mostly I just drew part of the scene which were not ideal. Also in most of the drawings I have produced are just in pencil which looks quite boring without any mixed media. I should practise more in leisure time and push myself to draw quicker and capture the main point of a scene.

This afternoon I have learnt and did some experiments on how to use cling film and masking tapes  to create a mould and transform it into paper patterns. This method is really useful to me, as I have very less experience on doing pattern cutting, and it confused me all the time while making garments. I think this method is a lot easier than drafting the pattern on plain papers, but however this method is not accurate enough because the patterns is from 3D structure transform to plain patterns which I think is not efficient enough. For the upcoming projects, I will still choosing to use the traditional way of drafting patterns on plain paper but I could use this method on some sculptural and exaggerate shapes.

6th July

6th July

7th July

7th July

10th July

Today we started a new project, it is a co-create project and our final outcomes are going to be exhibit in the CSM museum. At first it was unexpected because we have to pair up with someone that we are not familiar with, my concern is the communication between me and my partner, and don’t know what our outcome is going to be look like and I am concern about whether our audiences can understand the message that we would like to convey or not. However it’s a good chance for us to gain some knowledges from each others discipline to inspired some unexpected design ideas. I hope we can both work well on the project and how we can create something that is unconventional, exaggerate but also functional.

My partner is Pui, during the library session in this morning we’ve been given a text and an image about how tribesman present their identity and status with using artifacts. I found that the flowers on the tribeman’s headpiece and the feathers that he was wearing are quite interesting as it seems very natural; the face painting and the spears he was holding somehow I think he is the leader or have a very high status in his tribe. These information also gives me an idea of body art, the initial ideas I have think of is I could make some textiles/fashion pieces with combination to Pui’s fine art pieces, it could be installation or sculpture.

Our museum object is a scrapbook with collection of wine labels. The book itself is not quite heavy as it is very thin. The textures of the paper are quite rough but the surfaces of the wine labels are quite smooth. The perfect pasted labels make me feel satisfy because I have OCD and it is very hard to peel the labels off perfectly but in this collection, each single one of the wine labels were kept perfectly without any damage. It’s my first time to see a collection o wine labels as normally what I could see is collection of post stamps or tickets. The logo and the font somehow makes me feel that the wine are very valuable and in good quality.

10th July

12th July

During the contextual practice in this afternoon, we have to practise our pecha kucha presentation with a chosen partner for next Wednesday. I didn’t have well prepare as I only have 10 slides of images for the pecha kucha. I didn’t use the time that we have been given from last week and just did it quite rush without logically planning of stating the “what”, “why" and “how” about my future discipline. I think I just missed and wasted a good chance to practise my presentation skills as I am totally not good at presentation and I will feel very nervous of present in front of many people.

My partner suggested me to talk more about my personal style in fashion and definitely need to time myself for the presentation, I agree with that as for most of the images I talked more than 20 seconds which could make people feel very confused and couldn’t understand what message that I was trying to convey.

I only got satisfactory form the criteria feedback because I wasn’t prepare enough and don’t have 20 images for the Pecha Kucha. I would also assess myself as satisfactory, as we have been told that we have to finish the 20 slides before this afternoon, and it is a really good chance for practice and get more critical feedback for us to improve.

I will reorganise the order of my chosen images into a more logically way and try to make the slides more understandable with my presentation.

13th July

13th July

17th July

17th July

Today is the last day of the co-create project, it’s a very intense making day as we only got 6 hours to finish the final outcome. My partner and I slightly went out of time as our final outcome have to be display by 4:15 in this afternoon but we finished it by 5:00. One of the reason is because I spent most of the time on doing the knitting pieces with fish wire today, as the idea of using fish wire to create knitting pieces to wrap the coins just come out in this morning which means I haven’t do any experiments before. The fish wire is not easy to work with and it took much more time than using normal knitting yarns. The first few experiments were failed as the knitting pieces accidentally gone off from the machine but after practise with it several times I can finally create larger pieces with using fish wire.

According to our concept for the final outcome, it is about questioning the value of coins. Sometimes I see people like to ignore the coins and don’t like to use coins to buy things as they don’t think coins are worth any values, but in my perspective, coins are money and has there own value. I also collected some old one pound coins as it will no longer to be spent after October 15, but I think that it worth to collect as it might be valuable in the future.

While hanging the broken glass pieces(inside knitted pockets), as they are quite heavy but we want the both side of the wire can be balance which means we need more coins, but the knitted pieces with fish wire are too small and won’t fit all the coins to give balance, therefore my partner and I decided to used transparent plastics to hold the coins. The reasons for using transparent plastics is because we want our audience could guess the value of the wrapped object(broken glass pieces) from the other side of the wire which could have some interaction with the artwork.

From the comments we got from our classmates today, I realized that our used of materials are quite limited, also the scale of the outcome could be larger to enhance the visual effect. If we could have more time for this project I will do more research to come up with a more deeper concept and demonstrate the strength from each of ours practical skills in our own discipline. I think we also could improve the quality and finishing of the final outcome to makes it more flawless.

18th July

18th July

19th July

This morning we have the Pecha Kucha presentation. I think I am kind of screwed up the presentation as I think it didn't went quite well and even worse than when I was practising. I was too nervous during the presentation today, what I said for some slides were slightly different than what I want to convey originally.

I wrote down a script for my practise, I was trying to remember all the things that I am going to say and try not to look at the script but at the final presentation, I still have looked at some of them. During a presentation we should be spoke confidently and try not to rely too much on the notes. We will have more chance of presentation in the future BA course and in our future career, I should spent more time on practising my presentation skills also I could try to just write down some key words for each slides to remind myself during the presentation rather than reading the whole script.

Part Two Final Evaluation

Since the beginning of this course, I have taught and learnt some new techniques and skills to work within my projects. I learned how to use machine to cut plastic and wood, it provided more different approach for me to work. I think it is good for me to combine different techniques in my works to enhance my ability. Whats more related to my discipline is the stitching workshops. I learnt how to use knitting machine to create my own fabrics and textiles, it is new to me and really helpful for my project works. Also I really enjoy the embroidery work shop as personally I love to apply some hand on skills on my designs to make them look more delicate.

As we've been access and use the workshop quite a lot and I am already familiar and get used to the new techniques and skills, therefore I can work independently and efficiently due to the limited amount of time given for each projects.

I used to rely on secondary research in the past, through the study in CSM this month, I’ve learnt a more unusual way for primary research which is creating draping from my observational drawings to get more inspiration for design ideas. Also I can now use the library resource to enrich my research content. In the past I used to leave the design process very behind in each projects, but not I could quickly work and design on the body once I get inspiration from my research. In addition, I learnt how to reflect my work daily and this is really helpful to develop and improve my analytical skills. 

I used to work very slow in my previous projects and leave all the things until last minute which is not acceptable due to the intense and competitive learning environment, I’ve consistently involved creative thinking and really pushing yourself to work quicker. I am actually quite surprised that I can finish a project within one week and even I can produce a outcome, therefore I think I am preparing to progress to my BA course.

We all will work with different people from different discipline in  the future, actually I am quite enjoy working with them as we could get different inspiration, different options and different perspective from each others. Since we have finish the co-create project, I was pair up with a fine art student, although we are from different pathway but actually there are quite a lot things in common and we can both understand each others.

I think I improved quite a lot during this course due to the intense atmosphere, the biggest improvement would be my time management, at the beginning of this course, I was quite worry about that can I finish my projects within one week as I used to work quite slow during the foundation stage, but now I always push myself to work harder and could manage my time for each project nicely. Also I think I can now talk to people more confidently to express the concepts and ideas of my works.

The thinking of new ideas as well as idea development would be my strength so far at this stage of the course, I can now get ideas quickly while I was doing research as I started design on the body quickly once I gathered enough research contents.

In the second half of the course, my first priority is to develop the way that I think of the concepts for my designs as I found that my concepts are always sounds very vague and not deep enough also sometimes people think is quite hard to get the message that I would like to convey. Also I would like to develop my pattern cutting skills since i don’t have much experience, for example, in the final outcome for “Time Warp” project, the sleeve I have made is hard for my target users to wear on, they can’t naturally put their arm down as the arm circumference for the sleeve is too small. On the other hand, I should not go back to the conventional shapes for designs as shapes are vital for fashion design development, I could do more draping and explore more new ways to create more interesting and unusual silhouettes for my designs.

DavleameTB
20 July 2017, 9:15 AM
Cephalexin For Cellulitis Baby  <a href=http://cheapviapill.com>viagra</a> Vente De Clomid Prix
1 comment